Policy No: 034
Approval Date: 1/31/2007
Historical Notes: Revised January 13, 2010
The New Mexico State University Library provides access to computers and the Internet to support the learning, teaching, research and service needs of a public, land-grant university's diverse community of library users.
The Library endorses the principles set forth in the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights and Code of Ethics which ensure equitable access to information and uphold intellectual freedom.
- As with other library materials, librarians and staff do not endorse any viewpoints represented on the Internet. They are not responsible for the content of Internet resources other than those developed on official Library web pages.
- The Library neither restricts lawful access to materials nor protects Library users from information they may find offensive.
- All public access library computers are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The Library provides various types of computer access to meet users' needs:
- Limited use sessions (1 hour) are available on designated computers for any user who obtains a PIN from service desk staff.
- Unlimited use is available on all other computers for those who have a university issued user name and password.
- Express computers that require no log-on are available for quick reference, consultation, and print jobs.
- Members of the University community engaged in accessing library and other information resources have priority over other users.
- When there is a wait for computers, anyone who is using a computer for recreational purposes only, such as playing games, may be asked to relinquish the computer.
- Parents, legal guardians, or care providers are responsible for their children's use of the Internet and for intentional or inadvertent viewing or reading of other users' screens.