Policy No: 010
Approval Date: August 18, 2003
Historical Notes: Revised October 8, 2004; September, 2006; September, 2007; September 2010; September 2011; June 2015 (draft revision)
- The Library has an OSHA compliant Emergency Action Plan available in department work areas, at public service desks, and on the library's website: http://lib.nmsu.edu/aboutlib/policies/policy010.shtml
- The Plan is reviewed annually by Library Administration and shared with New Mexico State University's Environmental Health & Safety Department, Police Department, and Fire Protection Services for compliance purposes.
- Evacuation maps directing personnel and building users to emergency exits are posted in various locations in Branson and Zuhl libraries.
- All library personnel are trained annually in emergency procedures and safety information is communicated regularly through various channels.
- The Library Associate Dean is the Building Monitor and Emergency Action Coordinator and is responsible for assuring that the Emergency Action Plan is implemented for the safety of library staff and users.
- When police, fire, or medical personnel are needed due to an emergency situation, dial 911immediately to report the event.
- Building alarms are located throughout the facility and include horns, buzzers, and flashing lights. Alarms will be activated in the event that the entire building requires evacuation.
- After evacuating, never stay within close proximity of the building. If believed safe:
- Zuhl staff are instructed to gather outside at the Milton statue
- Branson staff are instructed to gather across the street, in front of the Astronomy building
- Exception: If there is an Active Threat of Violence* and you are able to safely exit the building, seek refuge inside another campus facility.
- Proceed immediately to the nearest, safe emergency exit and exit the building.
- Do not use elevators. Use stairwell exits only.
- Take only those personal items which are in hand.
- When evacuating, direct others to the nearest, safe exits, but do not do not delay exiting. Trained emergency personnel will ensure evacuation of all floors.
- When evacuating, ask anyone with a disability if they need assistance in evacuating. Personally assist them only if it does not significantly delay your exit. If unable to assist the individual, direct them to an officially designated places of refuge (the nearest, safe stairwell), and then notify emergency personnel of the situation and the individual's exact location.
- June 2015 (draft revision) PPM 010 Emergency Action Plan
- After exiting the building, library staff should check in with their supervisor, department head, and/or the Building Monitor. The Building Monitor is responsible for coordinating efforts to verify that all staff have evacuated from the building.
- No one is permitted to re-enter an evacuated building until officially permitted to do so by emergency personnel.
PROCEDURES FOR REPORTING EMERGENCIES
Step 1: Immediate notification
|Active threats (e.g., bomb threat, weapons)||Dial 911 and indicate that you are on the NMSU campus and follow instructions.|
|Door alarm triggered||Dial 646-1508 (during normal work week)
Call Building Monitor or dial 911 (all other times)
|Elevator entrapment||Dial 646-1508 (during normal work week)
Dial 911 (all other times)
|Emergency facility repairs||Dial 646-1508 (during normal work week)
Call Building Monitor or NMSU Facilities & Services Dispatch 646-7114 (all other times)
|Fire||Dial 911 and indicate that you are on the NMSU campus. Pull nearest fire alarm if easily accessible and evacuate the building.|
|Medical emergency||Dial 911 and indicate that you are on the NMSU campus. Stay with person needing medical assistance until medical assistance arrives. If possible, send another person to meet and give directions to emergency personnel.|
|Police (Emergency)||Dial 911|
|Police (Non-emergency)||Dial NMSU Police Department Dispatch 646-3311|
|Sprinkler system triggered without fire alarm||Dial 911|
Step 2: After dealing with the immediate situation, inform the Building Monitor or Library Administration as soon as possible at 646-1508 regarding the report/incident and any actions that have been taken.