Date: November 20, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jeanette Smith, NMSU Library, (575) 646-7492, firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to connect with the New Mexico State University Library on its Facebook and Twitter pages or follow the Library through a variety of other social media. Links are available at the top of the Library’s home page at http://lib.nmsu.edu.
Social media currently in use by the Library include:
- The Library Facebook page, which informs, entertains and communicates with regular posts of news about the Library and its employees, the world of reading and information, humor and special incentive features (https://www.facebook.com/LibraryatNMSU)
- A Library Twitter page that provides brief continuing updates for Library followers (https://twitter.com/nmsulibrary)
- Library YouTube, which showcases videos about the Library’s services, collections and special projects (http://www.youtube.com/nmsulibrary)
- More in-depth Library news is available through the Web Feeds link, which provides RSS feeds for Library news releases (http://lib.nmsu.edu/webfeeds.html)
- Click the “Ask Us” button for an instant chat with Reference and Research Services staff (http://lib.nmsu.edu/askus/)
More Library social media such as Pinterest and Instagram are being developed.
Library Dean Elizabeth A. Titus said, “Social media is a communication tool that assists us in acquiring and creating content and making it accessible. For academic research libraries, content is our business.”
Dean Titus quoted Melville Dewey, the father of American librarianship, who said, “A library’s function is to give the public in the quickest and cheapest way information, inspiration and recreation. If a better way than the book can be found, we should use it.” She added, “In social media we may have found a better way than the book.”
Connect to the Library now—it’s fast, easy and fun! For more information, contact email@example.com.