NMSU’s Library and Teaching Academy are co-sponsoring a free self-publishing workshop to be held October 25 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Milton Hall Room 50. This one-day class will demonstrate how to prepare your book for publication using Microsoft Publisher® and Adobe Photoshop Elements®. Once you have your book prepared, you can upload it to CreateSpace.com and get it published without spending a dime.
Topics will include:
- How to organize your book (title page, table of contents, etc.)
- How to design a page (Look closely at several books and notice that pages are carefully designed)
- How to use fonts and dingbats effectively (Don’t know what a “dingbat” is? Come to the seminar and find out)
- What decisions you have to make (What size font? What size margins?)
- How to use Microsoft Publisher®
- How to prepare photographs for your book using Adobe Photoshop Elements®
- How to design an effective cover
- How to prepare your cover using Adobe Photoshop Elements®
- How to submit your book to CreateSpace.com.
The workshop will not cover e-book publishing such as the Kindle or Nook.
The workshop will be taught by Dr. Richard Davies, an NMSU alumni and the author of four self-published books. Dr. Davies teaches self-publishing skills in the Continuing Education Division of Clayton State University, Morrow, Georgia.
Registration closes October 5. To register, please visit http://teaching.nmsu.edu/ or call (575) 646-2204.