Historian Bill Boehm, a former New Mexico State University Library staff member, is the author of a new book, Quarters One: The Story of a Historic Home and Its Residents (Arlington, VA: National Guard Bureau, Directorate of Public Affairs & Strategic Communication, Historical Services Division, 2012).
This volume details the history of Quarters One, the official residence of the Chief of the National Guard Bureau from 1978 to 2012. It was constructed and made ready for residence in 1905 as part of the famed Army War College complex. The commission to design the buildings was undertaken by McKim, Mead and White, a famed New York architecture firm. Fifteen officers’ homes and fifteen non-commissioned officers’ homes were constructed at opposite axes across the length of a parade field which lay north of the Army War College building, at the tip of Greenleaf Point.
Quarters One is the northernmost residence, located along the eastern bank of the Potomac River. The linear design of the larger complex was inspired by the “City Beautiful” movement which transformed the appearance of Washington, D.C. (as well as other American cities at the start of the 20th century) into grander public spaces and emphasized more spacious accommodations.
Quarters One also contains a brief history of the Army post on which the residence is located, Ft. McNair, in Washington, D.C. Previously known as Washington Arsenal and Washington Barracks, the garrison is the third-oldest installation in the U.S. Army behind West Point, NY, and Carlisle Barracks, PA. It too has a rich and interesting history among the annals of the nation’s capital.
Boehm now works as an historian in the Public Affairs Office of the National Guard Bureau in Arlington, Virginia. He donated copies of Quarters One to the Library with his compliments. For more information on the book, contact Boehm at email@example.com.