Policy No: 017
Approval Date: 08/23/2017
Historical Notes: Approved on 5/4/2007, Revised on 08/23/2017
The NMSU Library supports internships as experiential learning opportunities for students enrolled in academic programs at NMSU and also considers requests for internships from individuals from other institutions on a case by case basis. The goal of the library program is to supplement the student's education by providing practical, hands-on experience in an academic library setting, while also meeting the needs and mission of the NMSU Library. Internships may be paid or unpaid, at the library's discretion.
- Students desiring an internship will contact, in conjunction with their academic program, the library dean regarding the internship opportunity. Internships may be available in various library departments, but may not be available every semester.
- Students will submit a brief resumé and proposal that includes the following:
- brief introduction stating student's name, academic program, course number for internship, and reason for seeking the internship;
- student's stated goals, objectives, anticipated outcomes as well as a timeline for the educational experience;
- stated requirements to be met by the student for their academic program;
- stated requirements to be met by the library department.
- Written approval for the student's participation in the internship is required from the appropriate administrator from the student's academic program. This individual will provide specific requirements and expectations of the internship in order for the student to receive academic credit.
- The proposal will be evaluated by the library dean and appropriate department head. The library dean will notify the student of the approval/disapproval of the proposal.
- Students are responsible for completing and submitting all paperwork, tasks, and other requirements of the library and the academic program.
- The faculty advisor from the student's academic program is responsible for tracking the student's progress and maintaining contact with the library department head throughout the course of the internship.
- A copy of the completed student evaluation required by the academic program will be sent to the library dean and department head.