Policy No: 001
Approval Date: 8/18/03
Date Revised: 7/2006, 7/26/2007, 6/10/2009, 8/22/2018
University Library Policy:
New Mexico State University Library Policies and Administrative Rules and Procedures will be developed, approved and revised, under the procedures specified below. All approved library policies will be publically available and posted on the New Mexico State University Library's website. The Library follows university policies as specified in the NMSU Board of Regents Policy Manual, Administrative Rules and Procedures Manual (BPM) and in the NMSU Administrative Rules and Procedures Manual. NMSU employees are responsible for complying with all official university policies.
University Library Policies Administrative Rules and Procedure:
- Approved or revised library policies and administrative rules and procedures Everyone is invited to draft, propose, or suggest new library policies or revisions to existing library policies. Procedurally, drafts of New Mexico State University Library Policies and Procedures will follow the following review and approval process.
- Step one: Proposed library policies or proposed changes to approved library policies will be introduced, discussed, reviewed, and modified if appropriate in the library management group meetings.
- Step two: After Step one has been completed, department heads will share a working draft(s) with their departmental staff for discussion, feedback, and suggestions.
- Step three: After Step two has been completed, the working draft policy document will be further modified (if needed) by the management group based on further discussion and feedback received.
- Step four: The working draft document will then be distributed to all library staff and they will be invited to comment or make further suggestions. Note: In some cases, draft documents of proposed library policies may be distributed to other groups for their comment and suggestions, e.g., General Counsel, New Mexico State University Police, etc.
- Step five: After Step four has been completed, the working draft policy document will be further modified (if needed) by the management group based on further discussion and feedback received. The department heads group will make a collective recommendation to the dean to approve/not approve the policy.
- Step six: The Dean of the Library will make a decision to approve/not approve the proposed policy.
- Step seven: All library staff will receive a copy of all newly approved library policies. All approved library policies will be publically available on the New Mexico State University Library's website.