Policy No: 001
Approval Date: 8/18/03
New Mexico State University Library Policies will be developed, revised, and approved under the procedures specified below. All approved library policies will be publically available and posted on the New Mexico State University Librarys website.
Everyone is invited to draft, propose, or suggest new library policies or revisions to existing library policies. Procedurally, drafts of New Mexico State University Library Policies and Procedures will follow the following consideration process:
- Step one: Proposed library policies or proposed changes to approved library policies will be introduced, discussed, reviewed, and refined (if necessary) in library department head meetings.
- Step two: After Step one has been completed, department heads will share a working draft(s) with their departmental staff for discussion, feedback, and suggestions.
- Step three: After Step two has been completed, the working draft policy document will be further refined (if needed) by the department heads group based on further discussion and feedback received.
- Step four: The working draft document will then be distributed to all library staff and they will be invited to comment or make further suggestions. Note: In some cases, draft documents of proposed library policies may be distributed to other groups for their comment and suggestions, e.g., Provost's Council, Faculty Senate LibraryCommittee, General Counsel, New Mexico State University Police, etc.
- Step five: After Step four has been completed, the working draft policy document will be further refined (if needed) by the department heads group based on further discussion and feedback received. The department heads group will make a collective recommendation to approve/not approve the policy.
- Step six: The Dean of the Library will make a decision to approve/not approve the proposed policy.
- Step seven: All library staff will receive a copy of all newly approved library policies. All approved library policies will be publically available on the New Mexico State University Library's website.