Reserves Guidelines & Conditions
The NMSU Library Reserves Policy governs the procedures and guidelines of our reserves operation.
Acceptable for Reserves
- Library owned materials (see exceptions below)
- Library staff will retrieve materials from stacks
- Recalls will be placed for checked-out items
- Instructor owned materials
- Submit personal copies to Zuhl Library Circulation Desk
- The Library is not responsible for damage or loss of personal copies
- Personal copies will have a barcode placed on them for student checkout
- Articles and book chapters
- Full citations are required with the submission of all materials
- A copyright notice will be attached to all electronic documents
- Subsequent use of articles must be copyright compliant
- Homework, solutions, and exams
Not Acceptable for Reserves
- Consumables (worksbooks, etc.)
- Interlibrary Loans
- Reference and Special Collections titles
Reserve Materials for Canvas Courses
Reserves staff will scan, save as .pdf and send to faculty members any of the above listed materials for uploading to their Canvas course. For library subscribed journal articles and some electronic books, Reserves staff will provide the permalink to post within Canvas, if available. All library provided electronic materials are subject to copyright regulations. Full citations are required when requesting articles or book chapters to upload to Canvas. A copyright notice will be attached to all faculty-requested electronic documents. Subsequent use of articles must be copyright compliant.
Loan Periods & Fines
Library Use Only
1, 2 or 4 hours
May Leave Library
2 hours, 1 day, 3 days or 7 days
Reserve fines will accrue at $1.00 per item per hour until item is returned
Removing Reserve Materials
- Reserves staff contacts faculty at the end of each semester to determine disposition of items.
- Unless otherwise instructed, reserve materials will be removed at the end of each semester
- Instructor owned materials not picked up at the end of the semester will be returned to instructor's departmental address
“Fair use” guidelines will be applied to all items placed on reserve in electronic OR print format. All materials will be reviewed for copyright compliance.
Reserve lists will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. To avoid delays, please submit course reserve materials two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
If you agree to the guidelines:
Print out the guidelines and the completed reserves request form as a receipt.