Policy No: 042
Approval Date: July 22, 2009
The purpose of the Libraryís exhibit programs are
- to highlight the strengths and diversity of the Library's collections and services
- to promote Library programs and campus events or programs
- to acknowledge gifts and to encourage giving
- to celebrate Library and University milestones and accomplishments
- create an inviting and educational setting for Library users
All exhibits are subject to the following conditions:
- All Library exhibits must be sponsored by the Library.
- Exhibits shall affirm the American Library Associationís Library Bill of Rights, which states "Ölibrary resources should be provided for the interest, information and enlightenment of all people of the community that the library serves."
- The Library supports the American Library Association's recommendations for Intellectual Freedom Principles for Academic Libraries, which states that "Freedom of information and of creative expression should be reflected in Library exhibits and in all relevant Library policy documents."
- The Library Administration manages and approves exhibits.
- The Library does not provide security or insurance for privately owned items.
- The person submitting the application is responsible for the exhibit and will be the contact person between the Library Administration and the exhibit team.
- Exhibits in the library are not to be used for sales of any kind.
- The Library may photograph or digitally display exhibits for public announcements and/or their website.
- The exhibitor is responsible for the installation and dismantling of display item as scheduled.
- Exhibitors must furnish labels for exhibit items, including a statement of attribution for the exhibit.
- The Library is not responsible for any damage, loss, or theft of exhibited items and does not provide insurance coverage for exhibit items.
- Any damage incurred to Library property from exhibit is the responsibility of the exhibitor.
Exhibits Approval Process
- Individuals/groups must submit proposals using the Exhibit Request Form.
- Proposals normally must be submitted a minium of six weeks in advance of the desired exhibition date.
- Proposals are evaluated for their stated purpose based on policy goals, educational content, costs and timeliness.
- Any costs associated with the exhibit they must be specified, e.g. framing, wall repairing, etc.
Once an exhibit proposal has been accepted, the individual/group will meet with the Associate Dean of the Library to finalize plans for the exhibit, including dates of exhibition, installation and removal schedule, installation design and labeling, etc.
Exhibit proposals will be kept on file in the Library Administration office for a minimum of two years.
The library administration will forward copies of the approved exhibit to the Grants/Public Relations Officer to finalize publicity as soon as possible.
Some ideas, words, and phrases in these policies are borrowed with permission from the following
- SUNY Plattsburg/Feinberg Library - http://web.plattsburgh.edu/library/instruction/exhibitspolicy.php
- CAL Poly/Robert E. Kennedy Library- http://lib.calpoly.edu/about/policies/exhibits.html
- Eastern Michigan University Library - http://www.emich.edu/halle/policy_exhibits_in_the_library.html
- University of Oregon Libraries - http://libweb.uoregon.edu/exhibits/index.html
|Email us your questions or comments|