Flextime Work Schedules for Classified and Professional Staff
Policy No: 004
Approval Date: 1/23/03
Historical Notes: Effective date 2/3/03
New Mexico State University Library authorizes all library classified and professional staff to do flex scheduling under the guidelines specified below.
In compliance with NMSU Policy Manual 8.75 (Workweek - All nonexempt full-time personnel who are paid an annual salary on a monthly or bi-monthly basis shall be required to work 40 hours per week), the NMSU Library establishes a policy to provide classified staff the opportunity to work flexible schedules.
Subject to library and departmental operational needs and procedures, the library will provide flextime options to classified staff employees during the following periods: fall semester (mid-August through December), spring semester (January through mid-May), and summer (mid-May through mid-August). During these time periods, employees and supervisors may work together to develop work schedules compatible with department responsibilities. Supervisors should approve flexible schedules only if they are convinced that deviation from the normal workweek will not adversely affect the unit or those who depend upon its services. All flextime work schedules must be approved by the appropriate department head. Any work schedule modified in accordance with this policy must maintain a documentable full-time level of service.
Within these parameters, the following guidelines apply:
- All offices must remain fully functional for the normal work schedule 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Department head decides if flextime is viable for department.
- Flextime options should be made available to all staff within department if department head decides flextime is viable for department.
- A flextime schedule is for entire specified semester.
- Department head will determine hours available for flextime schedule. No flextime hours will be worked during hours the library is not officially open.
- Employees must average a 40 hour schedule.
- If employee takes annual or sick leave for a flextime day, hours scheduled will be taken as annual or sick leave. [Example: Sick leave taken on a 10 hour day, 10 hours of sick leave deducted from employee's accumulated sick leave balance.]
- Lunch breaks of at least one-half hour are required.
- Coffee breaks may not be accumulated, combined with a lunch break, or used at the beginning or ending of a shift.
For staff working a flextime schedule, they will revert to normal hours worked during holiday weeks.
|Weeks Including Holiday||Normal hours worked|
|Martin Luther King||32|
|4th of July||32|
|Email us your questions or comments|